Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Shadows of the Keep (d)

In the keep I can just see the top of the moon over the ramparts. It sits a few degrees above the horizon, casting a cold light over the castle. The shadows in the keep are inhabited by the terrors of the night, terrors I must pass in order to get into the main hall.
A weathered knight comes to me, offering his protection, I ask what the cost of this protection would be. He tells me his protection is offered freely and turns, hurt by my mistrust. I reach out for his arm and he vanishes.
Having information for the princess I still have to get into the main hall and so I step into the velvety blackness of the first shadow.
My spells do not work against the first terror and I am forced back into the cold light of the moon.
Again the knight comes to me. This time I accept his offer of help and we set forth through the shadows, fighting the terrors one by one as we make our way to the main hall and the princess.
Overjoyed at the news I have relayed to her about her parents, the princess gives me a gift.
I leave, the knight follows me. We camp beside the lake.

No comments: